What the heck should we wear?
The #1 question that I receive after a couple books a session with me.
No worries. I’m here for you! Are you ready for some easy steps? Ok, let’s get started!
One casual or laid back look
One Dressed Up Look
When choosing your wardrobe keep our desired location in mind. If it’s a colder climate, you may want to consider something a bit warmer with sleeves ya? Are we going to be in the city? Something more fashion forward will compliment the environment. Is this going to be a beach session? Probably want to skip the high heals and opt for bare feet.
You’ve Got to Move it, move it.
In the infamous words of King Julian from Madagascar, “you’ve got to move it, move it”.
Seriously though, you’ll look your best while wearing something that you able to move in. If you’re stuck in the same position because you can’t lift your arms or you dress feels too short and you’re afraid your exposing too much leg, you won’t feel comfortable to use some of the fun prompts I have planned for us! And you will feel self conscious the whole time which will ultimately lead to those awkward photos that you are terrified of.
This also means that you should wear clothing that fits you perfectly. Nothing too loose or tight.
aaaahhhhhh don’t you just love a dress blowing in the breeze?I sure do. The material your clothes are matter in the final photo. Think about materials that flow nicely for those epically romantic dress shots.
When you’re choosing your casual outfits, don’t be afraid to mix textures and classic denims. Nothing more snuggly than a good fitting pair of jeans and a warms sweater right?
The material of your clothes will make a huge difference in images that are delivered in your final gallery.
Don’t be matchy-matchy.
When in doubt choose neutrals, but don’t don’t try to be twinsies with your colors. While I love color, in most cases, there’s nothing quite like soft and light neutrals in a photograph.
- consider light colors such as whites, creams or pastels.
- Mix in other neutrals like denim or leather. I love a leather jacket thrown over a lace dress it's timeless yet edgy at the same time. perfect.
- Coordinate your outfits using colors and textures but please don't be too matchy-matchy. There is nothing more awkward than two people wearing the same exact shirt, unless of course you’re a cute elderly couple.
A good fit makes a great photograph!
This is the biggest rule to follow when picking out clothes for both of you. There is absolutely nothing worse than a gorgeous photo of two people in love, but she’s wearing a dress that’s too tight that she’s constantly pulling at. Or he’s wearing baggy pants that he’s constantly having to pull up. Too short or too long articles of clothing make it look like you came unprepared in your photographs.
The clothes you wear, say a lot about who you are, therefore should fit like they were made especially for you. You should be runway ready when you arrive for a professional photo shoot.
- If there’s a part of your body that you like to hide, don’t choose clothes that put emphasis on that particular area. For example, I’m a mom, and I don’t like my stomach, so I avoid clothing that hugs my waist. If it’s your arms you don’t like, I suggest long sleeves.
-Make sure to wear clothing that doesn’t pull up or down. Straps must stay in place so that you aren’t constantly fixing them.
- Hemlines on skirts and dresses that are too short will be difficult to sit in or may even blow up in the wind. High slits in dresses will do the same thing. If showing a lot of leg isn’t your thang, a short skirt or long slit isn’t for you!
- Bra Straps showing. NOPE. Sorry not sorry. Bra straps showing is not a good look, on anyone. It just looks, well, trashy. If going strapless or braless with an article of clothing is the only option and it makes you uncomfortable, choose a different outfit.
-Guys, listen up! Your pants should fit. Period. Baggy or loose fitting pants are not attractive. So find yourself a slim fitting pair of jeans or pants. Life changer. You can thank ya girl later!
:: Fashion For Fellas ::
Keep it Classic
Are you totally clueless when it comes to fashion? Not to worry! I’ve gotchu buddy.
Every single guy (and I mean, every. single. one.) looks good in a long sleeve button up shirt that fits well. Is it getting hot in here? Roll up your sleeves! You could even where a solid color crew neck shirt underneath and leave it unbuttoned for a more laid back look. Add a pair of clean, great fitting jeans or good pair of pants for a perfect outfit. Oh and don’t forget the shoes. A basic pair of sneakers or a slick pair of leather boots. If we hit the beach, you can kick those puppies off and go barefoot.
Things that do not photograph well:
T-shirts that have any logos of insignia, no matter how small. Just say no!
-Sweatsuites, tops or bottoms. This includes sweatshirts and sweatpants. This is a total party foul.
- Unless we’re going for a dip in the ocean, no board shorts.
-Flip Flops. I mean, I love ‘em but not at a photo session.
Trendy Is The New Sexy!
If your better half is wearing a solid color dress or top, you can totally feel free to play around with patterns in your attire.
I swoon over floral print button ups on guys or even a rocking plaid shirt makes me giddy. Don’t be afraid to get edgy! If on it’s own, your shirt feels too drab or out of the norm, feel free to throw your leather jacket over the top. I’m totally down!
Just remember that no matter what, the colors you choose should compliment your partners.
Still not sure what shirt you should wear? Bring 5 or 6 options to your session and I’ll help ya choose!
There is nothing sexier than a guy in a fitted suit and tie. That is all.
The secret to every heart throb that your girlfriend has ever pined over is his suit. If Leonardo Dicaprio had been wearing jeans on The Titanic, we wouldn’t have fallen, hook, line, and sinker. (see what I did there?!?)
Suits no your jam? Okay, that’s fine because a well fitting pair of slacks with a white button up can be just as sexy without all the frills.
Ok. Let’s be honest. Most guys don’t wear accessories. Cuz, why? A I right? However, hear me out. If by some chance there is a watch that you love or a fedora that you only wear on really important occasions, then bust those babies out!
Accessories that you should avoid like the plague:
- Chains. Anywhere. Belts, Wallets, even around your neck. Nope.
- pocket knives or your phone if we can see it sticking out.
- Absolutely no baseball caps.
Sunglasses, we want to see those beautiful baby blues!